Attendance at Tower Primary School & Nursery
Leave of Absence
The current law does not give any entitlement to parents to take their child out of school during term time. Headteachers cannot grant leave of absence to a pupil except where an application has been made in advance and the Headteacher considers that there are exceptional circumstances relating to the application.
Leave of absence taken in the month of September when children are settling back to school, during tests and examinations and if the pupil is in Year 6 or Year 2 are particularly detrimental to your child's education.
Non-urgent medical appointments should not be made during the school day. If the appointment needs to be during school hours, please provide the school with appointment cards or hospital letters, so that a copy can be taken for the schools records.
What should I do if my child is absent?
By law, schools must record absences and the reason given. You must contact your child's school as soon as possible with a reason for absence. If no reason is recorded your child will receive an unauthorised mark.
• We do not authorise absences without a good reason.
• We will try to ring you if your child is absent and we have not heard from you.
• We monitor attendance carefully and we will write to you if your child's attendance drops below 95%.
• If attendance problems continue we will ask you to meet with us to discuss the way forward and
possibly ask you to provide medical evidence before we will authorise anymore absences.
• If all measures fail to lead to an improvement in attendance, we will refer your child to the
Attendance Improvement Officer and this may lead to legal action being instigated.
When your child arrives late at school, he/she misses the teacher’s instructions and the introduction to the lesson. Your child may also feel embarrassed at having to enter the classroom late. Punctuality is important for children to start the day off well.
How can you help?
• Ensure your child arrives in time. Check with the school about opening times.
• Prepare packed lunches, school bags and breakfast items the night before.
• Make sure the alarm clock is set at a reasonable time for getting everyone up and ready.